While today is an exciting day (Chapter 6 officially begins later today!) my moment of the day came started early (VERY EARLY) today and was repeated this morning. I suppose it's like a prequel to Chapter 6. Yes, yes. I realize that doesn't make a lot of sense, after all, wouldn't the prequel simply be Chapter 5? Right, yes. I suppose it would be. Okay. Let's call this the closing of Chapter 5. This moment being when my parents shared their (individual and combined) impressions of my boyfriend with me. It's the first time we've had a chance to do so post-family BBQ last weekend.
Now, as a side bar, I know that EQ has been eager to hear the feedback, worried about the possibility that he wouldn't be embraced into the family. HA! What a laugh. He's AMAZING. My family is AMAZING. OF COURSE he was accepted into the folds! Still, I understand the need for the words, and I have yet to share them all with him. That will come as we open Chapter 6.
Back to today's moment. Late last night (which was actually early this morning), after my Dad retired to bed, Mom and I sat and chatted about where my life has travelled in the past 6 months. Her first comment: "This is moving fast." My reply, "Yes Mom. It is, but remember, I've known him well for over 2 years. We've were friends first before we ever crossed into the realm of love." She nodded and off we went about how much she enjoyed meeting EQ and that she could see how much he adores me. She asked, "Are you happy?" My answer was quick to surface, "Yes Mom, more than I've ever been." We spoke into the wee hours of the morning before retiring ourselves.
And then, a similar conversation surfaced with my Dad. He is an early riser. I was up early (after a quick call with EQ on his way to work, and yes, I do tend to burn the candles at both ends!), so I joined my Dad on the deck with a cup of coffee. With a twinkle in his eye and a smile that spoke volumes he asked, "Are you excited about your coming trip?" "Yes Dad, very. This is a new chapter in my life about to begin." His reply, "Yes, I can tell that it is. Your mother and I are just so happy to see you so happy." And off we went talking about what the future may bring.
Both conversations were amusingly similar even though they were (obviously) distinct conversations. It warmed me, for my dear sweet love has captured the a piece of my Mom & Dad's hearts. (or so they shared when they each had me alone!) They enjoy talking to him, they were impressed with the video he took the time and energy to put together for my family to enjoy, they were grateful for the little offerings that he's brought to them since their meeting last weekend and they both, they both enjoyed experiencing his music and both, individually, and later together, reminded me that they very much look forward to spending some quality time with just the four of us. (A family BBQ is very busy after all!) All very sweet, warm, loving, supportive words.
And as I left to travel to the start of Chapter 6, Dad's hug and encouraging words goodbye said it all. "You deserve happiness kiddo. Go enjoy it."
Moments feeling the love and support of your family.
Moments knowing that you are on the right path.
No comments:
Post a Comment