Sure. I know how that sounds. It sounds dramatic. It sounds unbelievable. Looking back, it feels like a dream, but I know, I KNOW, that it is real and I understand with more certainty than ever before just how beautiful digging deeper can be.
The long and short of it is that this week wounded me. I felt like a wounded animal, looking for a safe, dark place to hide while I heal. Being wounded, I was off. I had no light to shine and share. I had no energy for laughter. I wasn't my typically bubbly self. And it was noticed. My world noticed.
That in itself was a moment, because my world noticing pushed out extra love to me. And for that I'm grateful.
More importantly, the man that I have fallen in love with noticed. He shared ten small words packed with the protection of his love and light. Packed. Full. My eyes instantly filled with tears when I read them. A flood of intense, unexpected emotion ran through me in the brief moment that it took me to read these ten words. I realized, in a blink of an eye, that for the first time in my adult life, not only was I understood, I was being sheltered and given the space to do what I needed to do to heal. It was one of the most beautiful moments I've ever experienced. It's like that moment where pieces all snap into place perfectly without a fuss; or that moment where the clouds part and the full moon, in all her glory, lights up the darkness below; it is that clear moment where you know you have been changed. They are simple words, but their depth is beyond measure.
Lick your wounds, love
I'm standing over you
I understand.
I will never forget these words. Never before has the wounded animal in me been calmed as quickly and as succinctly. In ten words, I was accepted as my wounded self (it was okay!), I was protected (safe to share, safe to cry, safe to sit in silence) and I was understood (I didn't need to further explain and/or justify my actions/inaction!).
And in my fog, I had a celebration. One that filled me with a light that began to burn the fog away. Before I knew it, I was laughing again. I wasn't quite ready to sprinkle my joyful fairy dust around again, but I was feeling better. (Neither was I pooping rainbows and glitter, but that's another story!)
Moments accepting that you are wounded.
Moments being accepted that you are licking your wounds.
And in my fog, I had a celebration. One that filled me with a light that began to burn the fog away. Before I knew it, I was laughing again. I wasn't quite ready to sprinkle my joyful fairy dust around again, but I was feeling better. (Neither was I pooping rainbows and glitter, but that's another story!)
Moments accepting that you are wounded.
Moments being accepted that you are licking your wounds.
No comments:
Post a Comment