Sunday, August 11, 2013

Moments D475: Surprises gone wrong, turned right

Today was a fantastic day, I slept in, made my final preparations for my trip and then headed to the airport.  I was headed back to my favourite city in the US (Chicago) to meet my boyfriend.

I arrived into Chicago early enough to have time to make some preparations for a surprise I had in mind.  As my plan came together, my time table shifted.  In a blink of an eye I found myself unprepared and floundering for a plan B.  I found myself caught on the phone with a decision to make:  Stay and ensure that Plan A worked out, or head out to meet up with my boyfriend and his friend for a late dinner.  Even though I had eaten dinner already, I opted for heading down to meet up with the two gentlemen as it would be a treat to meet EQ's friend. And with that decision, plan A was quickly discarded.

The three of us sat and enjoyed dinner (well, they enjoyed dinner while I enjoyed my water!) We shared a story or three of the weekend's activities.  I watched as the two of them spoke about the sport they loved and some of the interesting challenges they had faced over their weekend of training.  Not only was it interesting to be a fly on the wall for those conversations, it was great to meet one of EQ's respected students who has become a good friend.  As dinner neared its end, I had to figure out plan B in a hurry.

And just as quickly as Plan A was destroyed, Plan B took shape....and it worked.  It worked out perfectly.

The moment here?  Go with the flow.  Have faith that a surprise gone wrong can be salvaged and enjoyed with a backup-on-the-fly plan.  And sometimes, Plan B is actually a better Plan A.  In my case, I was able to squeeze in dinner (right, water!), meet a new friend and still have a successful surprise to share.  Bangarang!

Moments watching a surprise slip away.

Moments realizing that another surprise has filled its place.


No comments:

Post a Comment