Saturday, August 24, 2013

Moments D488: Circles Entwine

Today was an extra special day.  It was a day where my circles really entwined.  Today was the family BBQ and there were a few present from both sides of my family.  A special occasion that my family has once a year (or at least we try to), my dear sweet EQ rearranged his schedule so that he could join us.

Yes.  That's right.  He chose to meet my entire family in one fell swoop.  Crazy?  Yes maybe, but that's one of the things that I love about him.  He makes it plenty clear what is important to him.  Making time to meet my family, even if it was going to be (possibly) overwhelming, was important to him.

We also had another guest to the family table:  my bestie from Haliburton.  Sure, she's "chatted" with my Mom before, but never have they met.  Neither has Hawk met EQ or the rest of my high energy family. (Yes, that's a nice way of saying rambunctious!  If I do say so myself, we are a happy, fun family though!) I'm not sure Hawk was ready for the day ahead, but I think, in the end, I hope she enjoyed it as much as she said she did.

After a lazy morning with my parents (coffee on the deck and later breakfast), we were off to the Whirlpool Jet Boating adventure with 6 others in my family.  What an incredible time we had, filled with laughs, soggie smiles and screams of delight.  (I'm assuming they were all in delight - my screams were!)

As the day moved on, I could see Hawk fitting in with my family.  Notably with my younger cousins as a blueberry fight erupted.  By the end of the day, I was no longer worried about whether or not Hawk was comfortable in the group.  She most certainly was.

More importantly, was the very obvious opening up of my Mom & Dad to EQ.  Where they were reserved and observing last night upon arrival, they were now fully engaged and swapping stories back and forth.  I enjoyed watching it unfold.  I also saw that others in my extended family were warm and accepting of EQ.  In fact, I had my dead Nana's approval (via my Aunt), my Aunt and my 15 year old niece's approval before they even left the BBQ. (I'm sure there are only more to positive comments to come.)  It warmed my heart for it was, no, it is, important for EQ to fit into my family, for I love my family deeply.  It's just as important that they fit into his world and needs of a family.

This, by far, was the best moment of the day.  Realizing that EQ fit.  Not only does he fit with me (so very much!), he fit, very well, with my family.  Beautiful.  After he and I downloaded the day's events this evening, it was pretty clear that he too enjoyed my family.  Bangarang!   Worlds didn't collide - they entwined.  I couldn't have asked for more.

All was well in the world of my family meeting my bestie and the man I love.

Moments holding your breath.

Moments realizing that it was unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment