Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Moments D548: Connections

Today's moment snuck up on me.  It was one of those moments where, in a flash, a whole story flashed before my eyes.  A possible future if you will.    I didn't ask for it (this time), it just happened.

I. LOVE. WHEN. THAT. HAPPENS!

Let me back up.

Tonight I had drinks with Cherry and her new man.  I've known Cherry for about 6-7 years, but it's only been the last two years where we've bonded outside of our work connection.  Two years ago we shared a common thread; we were both separated (by choice) from long term marriages.  Once we realized that we were on similar paths, it wasn't long before we were meeting outside of business hours and sharing our love and war stories over a glass (or two) of wine.

Tonight was one of those nights.

Tonight, was actually the second time that she brought her new man with her.  The last time we connected was early summer and it was the first time she brought, let's call him Kailua.  (For their first trip official trip together as a couple.) I very much enjoyed our first evening out together, so of course I was happy to have him join us again tonight.  

As a total side bar, Cherry and Kailua are incredibly well suited for one another.  I knew this when I first met them  There are just some couples that fit.  And as I sat across from them that first night I could feel the positive love and energy pouring off them.  Tonight was no different and I know they've conquered some big challenges together.

As we dug into our evening, it was interesting to see all the common shared interests.  Interesting, because I always love to dissect how it is that people come (or leave) my life.

And then my moment hit me.

It was as we started upon our second glass of wine, after sharing intimate stories that are typically saved for close friends I had a daydream.  In that flash of a moment, I saw the four of us building a deeper friendship.

It took me by surprise.

Don't get me wrong.  I mean, I like Cherry.  I've always enjoyed spending an evening with her, but this was another (possible) step in the evolution of our friendship.  It was unexpected. This, a moment where I saw her man and my man connecting and enjoying a story or two, where I envisioned the four of us travelling together, trying wines together and sharing silly stories together.

I was not expecting that.  A new connection. A new possible "couple" friendship.

Maybe EQ was right after all.  We will make new friends together no matter where we are living.  I am kinda excited about that.

Moments digging beneath the surface of a friendship.

Moments being happily surprised a at the depth found.

No comments:

Post a Comment