I have lived in Toronto since 1996. Yes. That's 17 years. AND.....I have NEVER been in Honest Ed's before.
SHOCKING. Right? I mean it's a local iconic building/store and I've been in the Bloor/Bathurst area more times than I can count.
And I've NEVER stepped foot into Honest Ed's.
Knowing that Honest Ed's is now up for sale, and given that my Mom, Dad and I were in the area for a show early, the three of us decided to go for a whirl through the store.
WOW. What a moment! Walking through this iconic space for the first time was a moment. It was, as everyone describes it, a discount/flea-market-feeling store. It smelled of moth balls (though not nearly as bad as I had expected it) and it had a ton of old Honest Ed`s memorabilia all around the store. It brought with it a flood of memories.
For example: I can remember, as a child, coming into the city for a show, or for a weekend getaway with my family, and we would choose between Honest Ed's prime rib place or his Chinese place. My brother and I were always thrilled to look over the antiques in the restaurant or ogle at the gaudy artwork.
It was a fun moment to share the store with my parents. Heck, we even found a few wares to buy while we were in Honest Ed's. I purchase a couple of expandable wiener skewer for roasting hot dogs over an open fire. Cool. Right? (AND I'm SURE my nephews will love them!) My Dad, well, he managed to pick up two NBA jerseys for $2.99 each. Sure they were 2XXL in size, but they are perfect as a night shirt.
So many weird and wild things in that store. Now, knowing what I do, I might even have to make another trip over there when I have more time to browse through the store.
Moments when you do something unexpected because you have time.
Moments finally experiencing a local icon.
No comments:
Post a Comment