Huh?
Well - that's because my aunt is actually more of a big sister to me. Being only 8 years older than I, she and I have spent many, many hours together and ridden through many life changes (hers and mine!) in the near 40 years that I've been on this planet.
Today, after a 7 day stretch at work, she and her family were insistent upon having a low key day. (Who could blame them!) My Aunt made me a deal: The only way I was allowed to come over was if I was okay with couch surfing, TV-watching, drinking and puttering. Duh! OF COURSE, I was in!
In the end, I helped with some yard work (strangely enough, that was a task of tying back grasses that actually came from the flower pots present at my outdoor wedding 10 years ago. Amazing to see just how beautifully they have grown!) and I helped fold laundry. Comfortable and casual.
As we sat outside drinking in the warm fall sun and sipping our Jack & cranberry, we caught up. As time slipped by, we shared stories of the past (nearly) two months. Much has changed in both "families" (me a very small family!). As always, insights and opinions were shared both ways. It was a beautiful afternoon and one that I will not soon forget.
For dinner, we met up with my Mom and Dad for a VERY laid back Thanksgiving dinner. The seven of us piled into a van (driven by {gasp} the eldest non-niece!) and made our way to Swiss Chalet. There we had one of the best "No Turkey Thanksgiving dinners" ever together as a family.
So, while this year's Thanksgiving was anything but traditional in terms of the food eaten, one thing remained a constant - I was very thankful for the most awesome family that I have in my life. I promise to never take them for granted.
Moments enjoying a lazy day with your "sister" and her beautiful family.
Moments being thankful and realizing just how fortunate I am.

No comments:
Post a Comment