Sunday, October 27, 2013

Moments D552: Leftovers

I remember a time when heading home meant clean laundry and leftover food to take back home with me.

Strangely, some things never change, as that often still happens in my world.

But today, today I spend the afternoon with my niece and after a couple of hours of browsing the Distillery District and stopping at Soma for the best hot chocolate ever, we headed home to my place to make dinner.

And so we made dinner together.  I taught her a couple of tricks and gave her one of my extra glass roasting dishes so she could make this dish again on her own at home.  As we waited for the roasting chicken, potatoes and tomatoes to do their thing, we sat and chatted and caught up on her first semester of university and how the experience has been for her.

A great afternoon and evening overall.  But the best moment, was when she told me she would happily take the leftovers home with her.  I loved that!  What a smile it brought to me.  What a rush of memories.

Of course, I packed up all the leftovers for her, being a starving student and all.

Moments spending time with family.

Moments supporting your family as you once were supported.

____________________________________________
p.s.  The Recipe:

Roasted Lemon Oregano Chicken Thighs with Potatoes and Tomatos

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves  (or to taste - I like a little more - you can also used dried oregano in a pinch)
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
4 small potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
4 chicken boneless, skinless thighs, cut into bite size pieces
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Over medium heat in a pan, use 1 tablespoon of oil.  Once heated, add the chicken and sear the bite size pieces. 
  2. In a glass baking dish, toss the potatoes, cherry tomatoes, chopped garlic, onion, and oregano in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.   
  3. Add into the dish, the seared chicken pieces.  
  4. Squeeze the lemon juice over the dish and cover.
  5. Cook in a 425F degree oven for 40-45 minutes.
  6. Serve with fresh oregano and sour cream.  (optional)


No comments:

Post a Comment