Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Moments D547: I'll Sleep when I'm dead

Tonight I stopped at a Shoppers Drug Mart on my way home from (a new) volleyball outing.  It's a Shoppers  that I've never been to before, so I wasn't familiar with their staff. 

In the cosmetics area, there was a very cool esthetician.  She had this amazing updo that was bright blue on top/front and the back of it was short and as black as night.  It reminded me of my own hair 10 years ago.  Black, with blue & purple streaks.  For me it was a fun, silly way to incorporate that silly "something blue" nonsense into my then wedding day.  Today, I had a moment where I appreciated her commitment to being different and out there.  It made me pause and remember a time when I was as outwardly committed to marching to my own beat.  

I loved that she owned her look and she made me smile without even saying hello.  

As I paid for my toiletries, I complimented her on her hairdo.  She was polite and reserved and said thank you.  I thought it an odd response for a woman walking around with such a big personality outwardly showing.

It was late at night.  As we waited for my credit card to be processed for payment, she brightened up a bit more and made some small talk with me.  She asked me if I had to get up early tomorrow.  I simply laughed and nodded and admitted that I would and then I quickly quipped that "...that's okay I don't need a lot of sleep.  I'll sleep when I'm dead!"   Followed by a big laugh.

HA!  Then, I had her! 

Her laugh was deep and genuine at that point.  With a belly laugh that she couldn't hold back, she told me I was adorable.  As I walked out of the store, she called after me to have a great night.  I could still hear the smile in her voice.

I'm glad I could make her smile.  I love those moments.

Moments being silly.

Moment appreciating a stranger and finding a way to make them smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment