Saturday, September 28, 2013

Moments D523: (Smiling) Bad Ass Chick

Wow.  What an incredible journey today was.  Today was Tough Mudder day.  I barely slept last night I was so darn excited by today's event!


Tough Mudder's female participants are lovingly known as "Bad Ass Chicks"  (BAC).  Today I joined their ranks, along with a team of 5 other participants (one of which was another female).  My day started at 4:30 am and EQ, Heini, and I were on the road by 5:30 am.  We made it to registration on time as did the other BAC on my team.  The boys?  Well, they were late.  So we started our race later than we had been slotted for.  (Not a big deal, but imagine the flood of adrenaline while you wait another hour before starting your big adventure race! We just ended up with a lot more time for team pictures.)

By 10am, we were off and running up "Gentle Ben" a green ski run at Mount St. Louis Moonstone.  It was a perfect day to run the Tough Mudder.  Sunny and warm, but not too hot (20-22 degrees).  By 3pm we were crossing through Electro-Shock Therapy and the finish line.  Five gruelling hours of going up and down the hills of Mount St. Louis Moonstone and defeating the 24 official obstacles.  (Of course, there were a couple others tossed in there for good measure; then again doing the mud mile twice was kinda fun!!)

And what did I learn?  What was my moment of the day?  Such a challenging question to answer because there were so many moments.  Like conquering the Funky Monkey and (apparently) making it look easy.  Like my Dad becoming "Team Dad" because he always found us after our runs at the next obstacle offering to take our camel backs and giving us insight on how to best tackle the obstacle.  Like my best friends being on site and sharing out to the rest of the world just where in the race my team and I were.  Like teasing my Mom that I was going to give her a big 'ol muddy hug!  So MANY moments that brought a smile.

What I learned:  My endurance and strength were worthy of this challenge. What I wasn't ready for, were the hills.  In the end, my biggest personal challenge was conquering the hills. I struggled because starting late meant that my well thought out meal pre-race was not enough.  (I should have had more food/energy before we started!)  My calves were not ready for that consistent hill angle for, 3 of the of 5 hours.   I had cramping calves within the first 2 hours of our adventure.  I dug deep and pushed through the pain and kept moving forward. One step at a time.  And, as in life, one step at a time got me to the finish line.

But today's best moment, came when I was in the hot shower on my own.  As I watched the mud and twigs wash out of my hair, I reflected upon the day's camaraderie, tackling fears, pushing through the pain and obstacles.  What I realized is that I did this crazy event without (too) much turmoil (though I can admit that jumping into the Arctic Enema took a moment to build up the courage!).  And, most importantly, for me, I had a smile upon my face the entire time. (The (many!) photos don't lie!)  The question becomes, "Can I be a really be a Bad Ass Chick if I'm smiling through the entire course?"  Hmmmm.  Debatable!

Bottom line, I loved how our team came together and supported one another.  No man (or BAC) left behind and we all have the scraps and bruises to prove it.  Next year, I'll own those damn hills!  (and maybe I'll scowl and growl a little more!)

And, while I'm at it, a HUGE shout out to my support system.  Mom, Dad, EQ, Heini, BFF,  and all those that were unable to make it to the hills to watch.  I knew I was surrounded by support.  Training to get here, running the course (safely) and dealing with the scrapes, bruises and pains post adventure.  Thank you for all the love.

Moments bonding with a new team and digging deep.

Moments smiling and sharing the excitement with one's support system.

No comments:

Post a Comment