Saturday, September 7, 2013

Moments D502: God's Thumbnail

Today was a hot hot day today and the air conditioning in the team room at the drop zone was dead.  The air within its walls were coated with the humid air.  Standing still wasn't still enough to avoid sweating buckets. It was a touch better when I sat outside in the dusty hot wind working on a design for an upcoming competition. (Which reminds me I wonder if my team for Tough Mudder wants to do t-shirts?  Hmmm.  Yes.  I think we must get some!)

As the afternoon came to a close, EQ and I decided to really escape the heat and head to a movie.  Planes was a fun movie and a perfect way to cool off.  Too early for dinner after the movie, we decided to ride into Temecula wine country to watch the sunset.


But the moment of the day that I really want to focus on was when we were riding home.   As we rode, the smells in the air shifted from sweet to earthy and the temperature cooled.   The sky shifted from hot red orange into the perfect purple-blue twilight colour (my favourite).  We rode into the velvety sky and the sliver of a moon and Saturn shone brightly against the twilight sky.  It filled my vision and senses for quite some time. As we continued on the road, I pointed out the beauty of the sky ahead of us.  EQ shared with me that this teeny sliver of a moon is known as "God's Thumbnail".  I hadn't heard it called that before and suddenly the moment was that much more beautiful for I had learned something new and could admire it from a new perspective.  We rode into the beauty for quite some time and I soaked in every moment of it.  The view was very similar to this, though the moon was higher in the sky for us.


Moments enjoying the smells and sights around you.

Moments seeing the beauty from a new perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment