Today was the exciting beginning of a new adventure. In the days ahead, we have ~1500-1700 miles to ride through California and Nevada, all on the back of a Honda Valkryie. (Here is the story about the name of the bike too!)
Now, I've been on the back of a bike twice before. Once in my early twenties on the back of a "crotch rocket", I believe it was a Ninja and then only this past summer on a friends new Triumph. Neither moment was I on the back of the bike for any length of time, both were just quick joy rides.
When I arrived in California, I had my first (what I'd like to think anyway) "real" bike ride as we rode from the airport home on the bike. It was a 60 minute ride. In the dark. The next day, we rode over the Ortega highway and that was definitely a lesson on how to be a riding partner. So, while the thought of a big bike ride through California was an exciting idea, I was definitely nervous at its length! Was I really ready for the 1500+ mile trek? The days to come will reveal that, but today, today, I was a super-star! (If I do say so myself!)
Our trip today was 270 miles. We started out in the hot, hot sun and were in shorts and t-shirts. We rode through Chumash and were happy to stop and take a break from the sun and enjoy a vista and a quick meeting, but by the time we rode into Morro Bay the weather had shifted pretty significantly. The sun was lost behind the fog tickling the road and hills that we passed through. While incredibly beautiful and inspiring to ride through, the temperature had dropped significantly and even with layered clothes we were both quite chilled by the time we rode into the beautiful Morro Bay area.
With hands of ice and a chatter behind my teeth (hey - I figure it's good training for Tough Mudder!), I looked at EQ and asked him if I made a good riding partner. His huge smile and warm hug said it all. My moment today, is knowing that I've come a long way since the first "real" ride on the bike. I'm much more comfortable on the back of "Diana" now than ever and I'm sure that in the coming days it's only going to get easier and more comfortable.
Moments realizing that I really enjoy being out in the elements.
Moments feeling the growth of self.
No comments:
Post a Comment