Today's moment came early in the day. That being said, as I write this, I realize that the rest of the day was filled with many small beautiful moments. I can't help but share them briefly before sharing the early day moment.
Travelling from Barstow to Vegas, EQ and I stopped on our way into the bright lights and glamour of the city to appreciate and hike the raw beauty of the Mojave desert. When we later arrived in Vegas, we rode the strip. So much fun to do so on the back of EQ's bike. How wonderful to reflect upon a day that started out in the raw natural beauty and ending up in one of the busiest cities in the country.
But the moment I want to dig deeper into is the one that came just before we left our hotel in Barstow. Last night EQ and I met a couple from Montreal who were also riding a bike for their vacation. When we were getting ready to leave this morning, the two of them were also getting ready to leave.
Jacques was 74 and was riding a big Harley that made his younger girlfriend nervous. Jenni, who isn't retired yet, opened up a lot about her concern over how large Jacques' bike was. Thus began a conversation about how big EQ's bike was (it's quite a bit bigger).
Jacques was quite enamoured with EQ's bike wanted his photo taken with EQ's bike and so, we strolled over to Diana. And as we neared, EQ decided that he would not only oblige the photo, he would give Jacques a lesson on how to better handle a heavy bike.
I watched as EQ instructed Jacques how to mount the bike, and then how to balance the bike between his legs, flat footed instead of using his arms. I watched as Jacques began to understand this method. Jenni, all the while, snapped photos.
The couple from Montreal were both filled with huge smiles and laughter as we rode off to breakfast. It was a special moment because not only did we make this couple's day, we also made their lives a little safer. I love that EQ was able to kill two birds with one stone.
Moments meeting strangers and sharing insights.
Moments knowing that the world is a little safer.
No comments:
Post a Comment