Today I was told I was a good friend. This coming from a beautiful woman that I respect and admire. We’re co-workers and while I don’t see her often, we have definitely been building a friendship beyond the walls of the office.
She’s older than I and her life experiences and her perspective on life have always been of interest to me. She offers a kind word when needed and a straight-forward opinion on anything I ask of her. For me, it’s refreshing to speak to someone with an opinion less muddled by her own issues. I know that sounds strange, and I’ll do my best to explain.
A lot of the time, it’s great to share experiences and perspectives friends. Understanding how and why they do/did what they did sometimes enlightens me to my own actions and/or needs. But sometimes, sometimes I want to strip those experiences from the conversation. I want them to put themselves in my shoes, knowing who I am as a person and give me their opinion from that perspective. Easy? Hell no. I find most people struggle to separate themselves from their own personal comfort zone and experiences. But sometimes, that’s exactly what I need because I know how they would deal with a situation, I sometimes am trying to figure out how *I* should.
This girlfriend…she offers that for me. Without judgement, without personal bias. I don’t feel any need to curb my words with her. That is rare. I now have two such gems in my circle.
And today, today she told me I’m a good friend to her. I was quick to share back the same sentiment.
Moments being thankful for new, deepening friendships.
No comments:
Post a Comment