Thursday, March 28, 2013

Moments D338: Monster Trucks

Today was volleyball night. Instead of working late, I managed to get out 15 minutes early to try and get ahead of the long weekend traffic. It wasn’t very helpful though as the typical 30 minute drive was just over an hour.

But today’s moment came from that drive. The weather was warm and the sun was shining. I opened my sunroof and soaked in the spring sun and warmth. (Okay, maybe I cheated a little, I did put the seat warmer on and I had the heat on in the car, but it was still delightful!) That whole hour and 20 minutes were mine. Instead of a mindful walk today, I had a longer mindful drive. I must admit, I rather enjoyed it.

The best part about my drive, however, was “playing” cat and mouse with this big ‘ol dirty truck. This thing was really dirty - it looked like it had been off-roading. To me, It was a mini-monster truck (isn’t that paradoxical?). It towered over the regular vehicles on the road, and it was in the lane to the left of me for nearly the entire time.

This truck was so big, that when my lane managed to make headway, I could see it above all the other vehicles. And I could see him from quite a distance. (Yes the truck was just that big!) These were moments where I felt like I had chosen the “right” lane and was “winning” this tortoise race. And then, when our roles reversed, that big ‘ol dirty truck was up ahead of me, I could still see him and I was now “losing’ the race. In that entire time on the highway, I never lost site of the mini-monster truck.

Simple and yet entertaining. It helped me keep my mind off of all the tasks I must find time to complete in the coming days. Tonight it was about the dirty monster truck.

At one point, I pulled up alongside the truck and tried to sneak-a-peek inside to see what kind of person drove such a vehicle. Sadly I couldn’t see through all the splattered mud. Still, I had a good chuckle to myself as I peered.

As the traffic started to break up and move, it was time for me to make my way off the highway; I was sad to see my monster truck drive on without me.

A made up moment. Me and my monster truck.

Fun moments focusing on silliness.

(And ya, I would totally love to go off-roading in one of those! Added to my bucket list!)

No comments:

Post a Comment