Today started early for me as I had a few things I needed to go over before my final exam. Time this morning flew by and before I knew it, I was up to my eyes in planning at work. The day seemed to skip by and though it was an easier day at work, the day still carried a dark cloud. This afternoon I had to share some concerning news with a co-worker of mine. It was overdue. Now in the loop, he too is ready to tackle any oddities that might come down the pipe.
The late afternoon brightened with a call from a friend who had received some great news from a waiting room. It was the best kind of news one can get coming from a waiting room. Our conversation brought a quick smile to my face and the energy to plough through the rest of my tired day with a warmth in my heart.
And yet, underneath the warm fuzzies I was nervous. I always get nervous before an exam. No matter how much prep I do, I get nervous. And though Chica noted that I "...was holding it all together damn well...", underneath I was nervous.
Today's moment was beautiful! I decided en route to my exam that I would take some time to breathe before my exam. As I walked out of the parking garage and towards my classroom I saw it - a present from the universe. I held my breath. There was my moment calling to me. It was a bistro table with one chair overlooking the Ryerson pond. I walked directly to it and sat down. For the first five minutes I simply sat there and watched people come and go. I smelled a wafting cloud of sweet smoke. And then it began to sprinkle. I sat there and pulled out my carefully typed up notes for one last round of reading.
As I sat there, a dog played in the water and the pigeons pecked at my feet. My glasses were speckled with rain and my arms grew chilled. I inhaled every moment of it, calming and preparing for the next two hours of writing out definitions and essays.
Before I knew it, my final came and went. As usual, I over thought it. The questions were challenging, but fair. I'm sure I did well enough in the end.
As I left the building post-exam, I walked into the pouring rain. I paused before heading to the parking garage and let the rains wash over me. What perfect timing to be caught in a downpour. Another beautiful calm moment found despite the stress. Another class down despite the distractions.
Moments to take pause to centre oneself.
Moments appreciating the pathetic fallacy of much needed cleansing rains.

No comments:
Post a Comment