Today I was home from work studying for my final exam. A fresh snow on the ground melting away, the sky darkened with heavy clouds and winds wildly blustery. Truly a good day (again) to be inside. This made my day (and job as a student to focus) much easier!
Today’s moment was pausing a moment to appreciate my own hard work. Perhaps that sounds strange, but often there are days I push hard and I don’t take the time to stop and appreciate all that I’ve accomplished. Today, I took the time to do so.
Part of today’s realization as I took this moment of pause was a better understanding of self.
I’m an A student. Rarely I’ve had a B+ or (gasp) even one lonely B, but most of my courses have garnered an A+ result. Impressive? No, not really. Not for me at least. I realized that today.
It’s not that I’m not intelligent. I am, but I’m certainly no genius and those grades don’t come without hard work. (I won’t lie, I envy those that seem to just absorb information!) Me. I just work hard. This is a trait that I’m thankful for my parents giving me. It’s served me well over the years. In school, in my career, in relationships (even those failed) and in my health (as I think back to getting into better shape).
In the end I really do believe that my energy is like a simple math equation - it always has to be balanced, no matter whether the energy is coming or going. Energy in = Results Out (And no, there’s no entropy in my system - it’s all useful energy!) In other words, the energy that I put into something (a class, a relationship etc.) I feel I will see the output of that energy in a beneficial format. The more energy I put in (i.e. the harder I work) the better the results. And yes, within obviously physical limitations, I do believe that we can very much accomplish just about anything we set our minds to - with dedication and work.
Add a touch of perseverance and a lot of drive and the results can be surprising sometimes.
Today was one of those days. Hard work, perseverance through the sense of being overwhelmed by the material, and drive to keep going. I studied from 8am thru midnight. A small lunch break. And yes, not only did I get through all the material, I also managed to have a couple of magical moments whereCLICK - the pieces fell together and it was no longer necessary to memorize the information. It had become bigger than a piece of information, it became a process and ingrained in other processes I was familiar with. That CLICKmoment can be elusive. I was grateful to find it after a day of hard work.
I’m ready for this exam. It’s going to be great.
As Thomas Jefferson once said: ”I’m a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.”
Very, VERY true in my world.
Moments appreciating hard work.
Moments feeling prepared and ready to tackle that 50% final exam.
No comments:
Post a Comment