Sometimes I feel very blessed to be living in a city that is so vibrant with culture. On any given day I have the opportunity to see many cultures pass by me (or I them).
In fact, it’s become such a big part of my life, that I really can’t imagine it any other way any more. There have been times when I’ve left the city (and not necessarily to an international or distant destination) and I’ve seen the gap in multi-cultural widen. This makes me more uncomfortable than it would have years ago. I am comforted, on some level, with multiculturalism.
Today on my way to work I saw an incredibly handsome older Japanese man walking on the sidewalk. He wore a grey cotton shirt with grey cotton pants. It wasn’t a jogging suit, but it looked as comfortable as one. He had a long white beard and he was walking slowly but with purpose. He looked like he stepped out of rural Japan, or a Dojo even. He looked as though he hadn’t a worry in the world and he was in no rush to get wherever he was going. He looked pensive and purposeful.
His presence drew my attention over to him. I watched him intently as I slowly drove by in traffic. He wasn’t interested in the cars to his left — he was looking straight ahead - without a waiver.
He was interesting. He made me smile without even knowing it.
I hope this lovely gentleman had a great day, filled with the warm energy he shared with me in that moment.
Moments to appreciate the diversity around you.
Moments pausing to appreciate a passerby.
No comments:
Post a Comment