I have always found it amusing when words you’ve shared with others find their way back to you. Sometimes this is good and light hearted and other times it may be something more intense and deep. It happens from time to time to me and light hearted or intense, I always love those moments. It’s like something you created has really stuck with someone and they are sharing it back. Today I had one of those moments happen. Not only was it light hearted, the returning words brought a smile and a laugh to both me, the recipient of the words, and to my colleague who shared them.
Not too long ago I was negotiating a campaign with a respected colleague. At one point he asked me to do something I simply couldn’t do. My response: ”Not going to happen” along with a big ‘ol smile. We laughed he told me I was a tough negotiator, we laughed some more and then we found a solution.
Today, weeks later, we are about to launch the campaign and during our final approvals of the campaign I asked my colleague on the phone for something I knew wasn’t likely to happen. His response: ”Not going to happen….but I’m saying that with a smile”. We laughed and commiserated over how one’s words can come back to haunt you sometimes.
Honestly, I’m okay with my words being shared back to me. First of all, I try not to never share words that take things from people, I try to share words that give. I believe there can be light heartedness and words that lift and support the other person even in the most challenging conversations. Because of this awareness, I really don’t mind when my word come back to me. Most of the time it just brings a smile to my face and a warmth to my heart.
So today’s moment, celebrating a smile and a laugh through the phone with words reflected back to me.
Moments with words returning to you.
Moments enjoying laughter with a colleague.
No comments:
Post a Comment