My exam today went very well. It wasn't easy, but I didn't overly struggle with it. This I am thankful for as that means I have one more course under my belt.
But today's moment isn't about having that sense of accomplishment, though it doesn't stray far from that point.
Right after my exam, I hopped in the car and headed out to my youngest nephew's karate testing for his orange belt. I barely had enough time to get from the university to the dojo. But make it I did. I showed up just moments before the testing started. It was a very large class of white, yellow and orange belts.
The sensei were amazing. They helped warm up the kids and stretch them before preparing them for showing their kata with the rest of the class and the all those who came to watch and support.
The lead sensei had this calm, kind, firm, enlightened energy about him. I liked how he interacted with each of the children. It was with respect and gentleness all at the same time and he connected with each child uniquely. That takes energy. That takes awareness. I was impressed.
What really impressed me was when the kata's began. It was obvious that some of the students were extremely nervous. The sensei always did what he could to make it easier for them. Lightening the mood, counting out the steps and most importantly, he spoke of their mistakes in a way that certainly inspired the children for working a wee bit harder and finding respect, not only for their sensei, but for themselves.
There were two moments during the testing that stood out to me. The first was when a young girl, testing for her yellow belt, realized mid-kata that she started out with the second set of steps. It was clear as day that she realized it mid-kata, but she persevered none the less. She finished the kata. At the end of her display, she looked upset at her performance. Sensei also noticed this moment. Before he let her go back to her peers he asked her about the situation.
"It seemed like you noticed mid-way that you made a mistake. Is that true?"
"Yes sir", she said very quietly.
He asked her to speak up. She repeated herself more loudly and met his eyes.
He then proceeded to praise her, "...the fact that you noticed that you had made a mistake and you finished your kata makes you strong. You didn't give up. You kept going. Life is about mistakes and embracing them and moving forward with them."
I think the entire audience in the dojo was silent and then we clapped. For the young girl and her perseverance and for the insight of the sensei.
The second moment was with an orange belt. He too had struggled with his kata and had some errors while he performed it. He looked defeated at the end of his kata. Sensei immediately picked up on that. Again, before walking this student through his kata a step at a time, Sensei addressed this moment. In this moment, he noted that mistakes and errors are what make us grow. We must always push ourselves harder and not fear making mistakes. Without making mistakes we do not learn and grow, we simply float.
Applicable to Karate. Applicable to life.
Moments appreciating mistakes and the growth they represent.
No comments:
Post a Comment