On my typical route home from work today, I passed by a neighbourhood cemetery. Now I don’t typically notice the cemetery on my drive home. I know it’s there, I know that in the fall the trees on its grounds were beautiful with colour, but beyond that, I haven’t paid it much attention.
Today as I slowed for the backed up traffic at the stop light, I noticed billowing black smoke coming from the tiny little building on the cemetery grounds. It wasn’t soft and fluffy smoke. This is the type of deep dark black smoke that one expects to see pouring out of a factory chimney, not from a tiny building in the middle of the city with residential homes nearby.
As I idled at the red light, I also noticed that there was a handful of white cars in the cemetery and for the first time in over a year, I read the sign to the entrance of the cemetery - it’s a cemetery cremaotorium. Why I didn’t know this or notice this before surprised me.
And in that moment I paused, gave thanks to the person who has passed on and sent positive energy into the universe for those left behind.
And then the light turned green and I was heading on my way again.
A couple of minutes at a stop light, watching someone be cremated. It was a good reminder of what is important in life.
Moments pondering life and death.
No comments:
Post a Comment