Sunday, November 11, 2012

Moments D200: Remembrance Day

What a perfect day for my 200th post. Remembrance Day.

I can’t believe it’s been 200 days since I started this journey blogging about special moments from each and every day. For better or for worse, I’ve managed to find a special moment that brought a smile to me for 200 days. I won’t lie. Some days were much harder than others to find that moment that brought me the warmth of a smile. Other days there were many, many moments to choose from.

Today, as I find myself exhausted from a long, late evening of fun, I am slow moving and my mind is quietly reflecting upon my journey of the past 200 days and when it dawned on me that this milestone is shared with the timing of Remembrance Day….I smiled.

While I have learned much in the past 200 days of writing, one thing has become ever apparent. There is a tendency for people to be self-centered. I don’t know how we managed to find ourselves down this path of entitlement and I don’t think most are even aware of it happening. But then I think to myself, “Where would we be if we didn’t have those on the front line fighting for our freedoms?” They keep us in a place that is safe and they are doing it for the greater good. I am thankful to those selfless souls.

I know it isn’t easy to step outside of self and to think of others. The everyday creeps in and often overrules the bigger picture of honour and respect. My wish, my hope, is that today, Remembrance Day, may inspire more moments of selflessness. Honour your words. Honour your actions. Honour those around you. Yes it takes time. Yes it takes energy and awareness. But, isn’t that why we are here? For one another, not self? Who are you if you are not with others? (Just another good reason to surround yourself with the best people!)

So in this shared moment I want to look beyond my personal toils, pains and ultimate growth over the past year and remember those who fought to allow me the safety of being here to experience this life.

Let us remember the past and look to the future.

Let us remember the people in our lives matter while being true to self.

Moments for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment