Today’s smiling moment came early as I drove to work.
On my way to work there is a house that is often covered in perched pigeons on its roof. I never understood why. The houses adjacent to this home have a few misplaced birds, and the houses beyond those neighbouring the “bird house” don’t have any pigeons perched upon their rooves. It was always perplexing to me. Why pigeons upon that one house?
Well, today the answer was revealed. As I slowed for the red street light ahead, I watched in wonder as the pigeons suddenly started to flock to this house. As I crept closer in the stopped traffic, I realized why.
There, from the second floor window, was a bare-breasted man leaning out into the cold morning with a small white bucket. From this bucket he was tossing seed to the roof in front of him. The birds swarmed and swooped and filled every inch of the roof of his home. This was a man who was happy to be feeding the birds. He had a huge smile upon his face as he watched them dance around him. This was not a man worried about what kind of damage the birds might do to his home (or to his neighbours’ homes). This was a man in the moment enjoying the moment with the pigeons.
And I, from afar, enjoyed watching him and his birds. He is now officially dubbed “Bird Man” in my world. And I know that every day that I pass his home from this day forward, I will smile.
Thank you Bird Man for this moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment