Sunday, November 25, 2012

Moments D214: Winter's First Snow

Yes that magical day was today!

I managed to sleep in today (9am) and I lounged in bed knowing that I had a busy day ahead. (Busy but not active in that I was to read and summarize 2 or 3 chapters for my class today.) So I took my time enjoying the beams of sunshine peeking through my blinds and curtains.

Finally, when I couldn’t find reason to stay cozy in bed any more, I pulled myself out and made my way to the window to take a look at the sunshine beyond the blinds. Much to my surprise there was a layer of white dusting the world below. It was faint, but there was no mistaking it - the season’s first snowfall had arrived.

I love that moment. Sometimes it’s a big snowfall and other times it’s a dusting like today. Either way, I love that moment. It’s the definitive sign that the season has changed. No longer are we in the dredges of fall, we are at the beginning of winter.

I know, for some, winter comes with a downside. The lack of light (shorter days/longer nights), the cold and of course the snow. Me. I like to celebrate it. I love the crispness in the air, even if it is in the negative temperatures. (It’s about being dressed for the weather!) I love crunching my boots over the fresh snow, or better yet over snow that has settled, partially melted, and frozen again. Have you ever tried to walk upon this delicate crust and not break it? I have. Many, MANY times.

The beginning of winter means snowboarding and fires. Snowball fights and hot chocolate. Shovelling snow and gabbing with the neighbours. Spending a day, warm inside, watching the snow storms outside watching movies or playing video games. If I’m lucky, maybe a tobogganing outing with those I love. If I’m luckier yet, maybe a few late nights tucked in with friends drinking mulled cider and sharing stories.

Yes, for me, there is much to love about winter. Today, for me, winter has officially arrived. WOOT! That makes me smile.

Moments to be surprised.

Moments to watch the seasons change.

No comments:

Post a Comment