Friday, November 2, 2012

Moments D191: Photos & Poppies

Tonight’s Albert Watson event was amazing. Albert Watson, the man was incredible and his works are inspirational. For the record, he is also having a showing in a local gallery. I must make sure to find time to check it out.

Today’s moment was brought to me by this amazing artist. The moment he stepped on stage, I felt his positive creative energy. And, he was wearing a poppy. I immediately fell in love with him. Why? Poppies mean a lot to me. It’s one time a year that we stop and remember the vets that fought so hard, manywith their lives, to give the rest of us freedom.

Mr. Watson lives in New York City. He’s recently lived through a trying time with hurricane Sandy devastating his condo building and his home town. And yet, in his tenaciousness, he and his family made it to Toronto for the event. And, he remembered to wear a poppy.

A wee side-bar: Poppy wearing is not very popular in the USA. I’m not sure why this is, but it’s something I’ve been aware of for some time. So the fact that he pushed out of his devastated home town and wore a poppy….I was impressed.

During the next 2.5 hours he continued to impress and inspire. What an incredible life story to share; I know I wasn’t the only one inspired by his words.

During the Q&A, an 18 year old student asked about what types of projects she should focus on to get her career started, but she also commented about having limited time to do so. Albert, called her on this, for like anything, to become good, to push beyond the mediocre, one needs to invest time into it. Make the time. Find the time. Shift priorities. That, like anything in your life, hard work WILL pay off.

Why is it that we are so afraid to work hard? It saddens me, as I see it often. Many are lazy and complain about hard work. And sure, I have my moments too, but for the most part, I know that if I put the time and energy into something I see the results. The hardest part is determining where to spend one’s time and energy for there isn’t enough time to go around for ALL the things one wants to do and/or excel at. Choosing paths, for me, is harder than the hard work.

So today’s post - a celebration of a beautiful soul, an inspiring artist, and a true, gentle man - Albert Watson.

Moments to remember.

Moments in art.

No comments:

Post a Comment