Sunday, September 9, 2012

Moments D138: Eucalyptus Steam Room

Today was an incredible day. It was a day to myself and for myself. I rarely find myself in this situation as I love to be busy and better yet, I love to be busy with people. But today, I chose to isolate myself. It was time to reconnect and recharge.

Today the sun was shining so I spent some time by the pool and read. It was cool in the 18 degree breeze, but the sun was hot and the pool was (thankfully) warm. I finished up a book I had been hanging onto from a co-worker for months now. Boy do I feel good that I can give it back to him tomorrow. I also started two other books. Triple check on the feeling good.

But the best part of my day was heading out late afternoon to the Scandinave Spa. I could talk to you about how incredible the grounds were, or the friendly staff, or the large (very hot) sauna or one of the best shiastu/swedish massages I’ve ever had in room 11. Each and every one of those pieces of my experience today were amazing moments. (And yes, I will likely track down the RMT to keep in touch with him regarding his new farm/resort project, but I might even try another treatment with him (even though I love my current RMT!!) He was just that incredible with his sharing of energy and his treatment style.)

But today’s biggest moment. The moment that stands out most prominently is when I had the eucalyptus steam room all to myself. At one point the steamer shut off and it was dead quiet in the steam room. All you could hear was a faint “drip…..drip……drip” as the steam condensed on the ceiling and fell back to the floor below. It was this moment, in dead silence where I slowed my breathing to a crawl and imagined feeling every inch of my skin in the steam. It was hot and the eucalyptus tickled one’s nose but on the skin it was a tingling sensation. My skin was tingling and covered in steam/sweat. As the steam rolled over my skin I wondered if there was a way to separate body from mind and I focused on the rolling steam along my skin, but in a detached way. It was an interesting exercise and one that I won’t soon forget.

I revisited the steam room a couple of times beyond that experience. Unfortunately I wasn’t to have the room to myself again. It’s not quite the same listening to other people breathing/moving/coughing. It was a moment for myself. It was a moment for my deepest me. It was a pretty incredible moment.

Moments of quiet reflection.
Moments for self.
Moments to recharge.

(and yes, girlfriends, be ready. This is what I want to do for my birthday next year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment