Thursday, September 6, 2012

Moments D135: Hold your own

Today started off with challenges. A late rise, grumblings getting ready as things are coming together easily, and running out the door without a bite to eat nor a coffee. And yet, as I hit the streets to my drive into work, I couldn’t help but smile at the near sunrise in the sky. It was a moment to remind me to hold my head high and keep pushing forward.

This seemed to be the theme of the day. Work pushed me. People pushed me. Silence pushed me. Each moment and/or situation that arose, I found a way to hold my own and to be be true.

At the end of the day, I headed to an all women’s league try out in a town about 40 minutes away. In rush hour traffic, the commute took an hour and 20 minutes. I was late, I was nervous and yet, I held my emotions in check. I held my own and focused on the music enveloping me with its charms. I went with the flow.

And then, I played volleyball for nearly two hours. It was a workout. These women are not kidding when they say they are competitive. I was in heaven and yet I was nervous about not measuring up.

I forgot, just how much of a difference there is between the women only height net (7’ 4.125”) versus the men/co-ed height (7’ 11.625”). That’s 7.5 inches. THAT makes all the difference in the world when a five foot barely 5 inch gal is setting, hitting and blocking at the net.

Oh my, was I holding my own. Suddenly I could hit and they tested me in power. Suddenly I could block (for real, not just a tip/re-direct kinda way) and my sets were good.

So today’s moment: Feel strong and capable to hold your own no matter what the situation. Today, I managed to do this navigating a myriad of moments that could have completely tarnished if not ruined my day.

Oh, and for the record, I ALSO held my own while enjoying a late night dinner of designer grilled cheese and sausage rolls. (There were two too many sausage rolls, but I fought through that!)

Moments to hold your own - kinda like digging deeper really.

No comments:

Post a Comment