Yesterday a co-worker returned from her 4 week vacation across seas. It was wonderful to see how the rest of the department welcomed her back and the eagerness to hear of her adventures. There were many smiles, much laughter and oodles of ooooohs and aaaahs.
This continued into today and one of the lessons learned by this wonderful person was how to go with the flow. She had many issues (some quite major!) arise on her trip and she realized that even though she’s quite strict with her expectations, that she could be flexible and in fact enjoyed the lesson of being flexible and not stressed out about things going sideways by simply going with the flow.
This reminded me of my own journey this past year and brought a smile to my face when she shared her new perspective with me.
Many situations and people have crossed my path in the last 10 months. Many have pushed my boundaries, for good and for bad. The entire time I have told myself, time and time again, go with the flow. See where the waters of change take you.
The problem with this, is that eventually one needs to decide where the ultimate goal is. In 10 months, I really haven’t given the destination much consideration. After all, the destination changed drastically (i.e. to choose to leave my marriage) but I had no real direction beyond that….just the waters of change and going with the flow.
Going with the flow has been an incredible journey and one that I will never forget. It’s been soul changing and I feel recharged and more myself than ever before.
And yet, I also a bit lost as I drift in the flow unsure as to which direction I really want to go.
So I make baby decisions. Each one is a celebration of direction. I can be flexible and go with the flow and still have direction. This, by far is the greatest lesson I’ve learned.
It’s good to be flexible, but we all need our boundaries!
Today’s moment: going with the flow - with direction.
#moments #direction #going with the flow
No comments:
Post a Comment