First of all - WOW. This is my 600th blog post. It's also an amazing blog post to share. Today, my 65 year old parents went up in a plane and then jumped out for their first skydive!
Yes - that's right, they dove into the sky!
How more fitting a moment to share for my 600th blog post? Incredible really. I couldn't have planned it this way. I love when significant things align. For me, on some level, it makes those separate moments feel a touch more significant because they happen at the same time.
Crazy? Perhaps. But today, on a day when I'm crazy proud of my Mom and Dad for being so fearless and for being my most amazing parents, I'm also proud to have reached 600 blogs. Two milestones in one day. That's an incredible moment no matter how you slice it!
So back to my most amazing parents. I have been teasing them about jumping out of a plane since July when I had my first tandem skydive. Both of them were quick to change the subject at first. Over time, they warmed to, "maybe one day".
And then they showed up to surprise me late this week for a visit in California. Now, in EQ's territory, with the opportunity right before them, they could have passed and waited for "one day". Instead, with a few gentle pushes (and a small exchange of - if we do this, EQ will do something else) they took the bull by the horns and rode it hard all the while smiling and laughing. ('Tis the family way I think!)
They arrived right on time, bright eyed and eager to experience their tandem jump. After reading every line of the waiver forms, my Dad was advised to speak to the most senior skydive person about his recent heart surgery. He was advised by the drop zone to skip the jump as he didn't have a written pass from his cardiologist on this specific activity. If Dad wanted to jump, he would have to sign an additional waiver to do so. After some debate, my Dad simply looked at my Mom and said, well what do you think? Her response was immediate: "If you don't do it, you'll regret it."
And so, he signed the additional waiver. (I'm not surprised, after all my Dad's feeling better than he has in many years after his heart surgery!)
I could tell that both Mom and Dad were a touch nervous on the ground as they suited up and readied themselves for the plane, but they were filled with big smiles and lots of laughter as they did so. Each had an incredible tandem instructor, so I wasn't worried about that at all. I knew that they were in good hands.
And then I watched them board the plane and fly away. I had the briefest of moments of worry, after all, both my beloved parents were on the same plane, jumping out one after the other. The thought passed as quickly as it came.
Before long, I could see them jump from the plane and I watched as their parachutes opened. Cheering from the ground, I knew that they would have loved the freefall and the canopy ride in. Now for the landing to go smoothly!
Dad approached the drop zone landing area first. Fine form; he was definitely ready to land! Dad and his tandem partner landed without any issue at all. With a slight hop, Dad was quick to smile and share the excitement of his jump with the camera. And then all eyes were on the sky for Mom.
Mom came in last and at the time she was arriving, the winds had picked up some. With a few skills turns, she and her tandem partner landed. Thought it looked perfect, Mom crumpled to the ground after they landed. From where I was, I couldn't tell what had happened. All I could do was wait (and worry) to find out.
Before long, I could see she was on her feet, hugging & kissing Dad. Hugging EQ. All seemed well as they made their way back from the landing area.
When they were close enough, I joined them on the rest of the walk in. The excitement was palpable. They loved it. All of it. There was no best part. (I asked!) For Mom though, her motion sickness kicked in as they approached the landing. She was a bit queasy when they landed, thus why she sat down when they first landed. Phew. Queasiness we can easily deal with!
So, did they have a great experience? Here it is in my Dad's own words:
Now to see if they'll jump for ALS this coming summer. Any bets?
Moments that confirm just how awesome my parents are.
Moments being the proud daughter.



No comments:
Post a Comment