Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Moments D611: New Christmas Traditions

The first moment of my day was realizing that Santa found me in the middle of the ocean overnight!  I had a stocking of fun to open first thing.  That was followed by shared smiles between EQ and I as I opened his gift to me and he my gift to him.  All around that was a tender moment, broken by the flight of nerf darts shooting around our cabin.  (Silly, yes.  But aren't you supposed to be a little silly Christmas morning?)

But today's big moment was while we were snorkelling.  Yes, that's right, today my parents, EQ and I went snorkelling in St. Thomas.  Snorkelling on Christmas day.  How cool is that?

We saw sea turtles and reefs and lots of brightly coloured fish.  We were even visited by a large barracuda as we boarded the boat to head back into town.  It was spectacular, truly.

At one point I lifted my mask and snorkel from my face and said to EQ, "...this would be a lovely new family Christmas tradition.  I love the idea of snorkelling on Christmas day again!"

It was a great moment.  For my family, the holiday has never really been about the date.  It's about spending time with people you love.  And while I was missing some of my favourite people later today, I was also so very, VERY happy to have spent the day doing something I love (snorkelling) with some of the people I love! What a beautiful combination!

Moments breaking tradition.

Moments realizing that new activity could be a new tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment