Friday, December 20, 2013

Moments D606: Cold before the heat

It's always an exciting day when you know the next day you are going on vacation.  Today was that day.  My last day of work for an entire week.  While there was much to get through, it was easy to stay focused and push through to get it done.  Skip lunch, skip the breaks.  No problem, if it means everything is all laid out for the time I'm away.

And it was all done.  Phew.

And then it was a mad dash to pack for the coming Christmas cruise.  Three hours.  LOTS of time, right?  Nope!  As usual, there were more things to deal with than expected and EQ and I were rushing right to the last moment we had before heading to the airport.

We took his bike to the airport.  Good thing too as the traffic was crazy busy.  On the upside, we were able to use lane sharing to keep us moving towards the airport.  And we arrived there on time! On the downside, the ride into the airport was very cold.  So cold that even with my three layers on, with a scarf and a hat, I was very chilled by the time we arrived.

As we sat and ate our dinner at the gate, I shivered the entire time.  But you know what?  As we were boarding the plane, me still wearing my hat to keep warm, I realized, I was soon going to be in Miami.  I was soon going to be in the Caribbean.  The sun and heat were only hours away.

Sometimes it's darkest before the dawn.    In my case it was coldest before the heat would hit me.

It was a fun moment of realization.

Moments shuddering in the cold.

Moments knowing that the cold will be replaced soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment