This lovely woman once, many years ago, dated my then best friend. The three of us were nearly inseparable for about a year before life's shifting self had other ideas. (As is does sometimes.) What was the catalyst?Well, eventually my best friend and co-worker split. It became awkward very quickly for me as I found myself in the middle of a very difficult and highly emotional breakup; I ended up drifting away from them both.
Fast forward ten or so years later and much has happened in all our lives. Marriages, divorces, separations and an MS diagnosis. Just this past Tuesday I had coffee with my old friend. I haven't seen her in about 3-4 years and the last time was also just a quick lunch outing as well. It's been many more years since we've been close. Our coffee break catch up was great. She's doing well even though she's had a challenging year.
Back to today's moment and being stopped in the staircase. My co-worker paused me to share with me her early morning thoughts, as she woke. In her words, she shared that she and I might have remained and possibly become closer friends had she never dated my old best friend. She paused and further explained that she wished that she hadn't gone so deep into that relationship and neglected her other friendships.
I reassured her that I never felt neglected and that life shifts and changes just cause drifting sometimes. She didn't seem to buy it though. She pressed the issue of our lost friendship. All I could do was offer her a hug and another assurance that her actions alone didn't cause us to drift.
About an hour later she shared these words with me via email:
After having a recent friend breakup, her words touched me deeply. Sometimes life just takes two people into separate directions, it doesn't make with one of them bad people. Sometimes the fit changes. Sometimes needs do. Sometimes physical locations do. Whatever the changes, it takes two to make it work and sometimes that energy is lost on other priorities.Today's moment: appreciating and recognizing that life changes happen. It doesn't need to be seen as a negative thing.
Moments reflecting on what could have been.
Moments recognizing that we choose our path in life conscious or not. I prefer to be conscious.
No comments:
Post a Comment