Thursday, December 12, 2013

Moments D598: Family Firsts

Mom & Dad arrived at the drop zone just as I finished working for the day.  Brilliant timing because EQ had just headed out to his next jump of the day.  We had the perfect opportunity to watch the skies for the canopies coming in - it was a bright sunny day, with not a cloud to be seen.  Easy to spot the plane, easy to see people leaving the plane.  Perfect for a first experience on a drop zone!

I could see the excitement in their eyes as they searched the skies for hints of skydivers and their canopies. In a moment, I fondly remembered my own first experience on a drop zone.  It was magical watching the bright canopies sailing through the bright blue skies.  While the shine of the experience has worn off some, I find it's still magical to watch the skydivers swoop & sail into their landings.  

For me, instead of enjoying the skies as much I would normally, I found myself watching and enjoying this new experience again through the eyes of my Mom and Dad.  They eagerly watched the sky for the plane.  Then for the skydivers leaving the plane and then, eagerly waiting to see the canopies open. They asked a million and one questions about the drop zone and skydiving in general.  I loved answering their questions about the drop zone and skydiving in general (what I could anyway!).  And when we finally saw his canopy open, it was fun to follow EQ's and track him all the way into the landing zone.  A special moment because I found I was very much enjoying them enjoy themselves.  Simply incredible to watch them soak it all in.   


Moments enjoying the excited twinkle in their eyes.

Moments experiencing a first for my parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment