Today was a day filled with love and warm soul reviving energy. Messages of holiday wishes were shared upon waking this morning and came from far and wide. It was a magical morning as we woke to a fine dusting of snow. Yes, it was Christmas day!
But the best moment was when I finally had a moment to sit with my six-year old nephew and have a bit of a chat. He teased me that he was ready for his presents. I teased him back that I hadn’t brought any. He giggled and then tried to convince me I had. I held my ground that I hadn’t. And then, something clicked with him. You could see it in his eyes. He turned away from the racing game on the TV that his brother and cousins were playing and looked me square in the eye and said “That’s okay, it’s not about presents. It’s about family and friends.” I couldn’t have had a prouder moment than that. I hugged him and asked him if he’d really be happy if I had come without presents and we were just going to hang out and play some games. The words were barely out of my mouth when he said “of course!”. Then I squeezed him a little tighter and whispered in his ear that I did bring a little something for him. And he giggled and squealed “I KNEW IT!” and we giggled together. It was quite a beautiful moment.
I can’t tell you how much his words meant to me. He and his brother have many aunts and uncles and therefore see lots and lots and lots of gifts during special occasions. It’s such a beautiful thing to hear that they see the bigger picture.
Moments to appreciate the bigger picture.
Moments with family and loved ones.
No comments:
Post a Comment