Today as I enjoyed the day with my family I realized just how far I’ve come in a year. Last year at this time I was in a hurricane of emotion and pent up anger. My world was upside down and I was trying to figure out the right direction to go. 2012 hasn’t been an easy year (far from it actually), but it has helped me to grow.
And I must send a beam if light out…..one of my best friends has also had a very rough year. As I stop and reflect upon my challenges it is hard not to celebrate her growth as well. And most importantly I know she would love the meal we had tonight, so she was often top of my mind today.
Today was an incredible day with family and my aunt made one of my favorite childhood meals for dinner. Yup. Yolanda. Seriously, it is called Yolanda. It is a tomato based beef stew/sauce served over shell pasta and cheese. It is delightfully simple and tasty. I had 2.5 bowls of it tonight! Yes I love it that much!
As the extended family asked about the recipe, I realized that my aunt didn’t know why it was called Yolanda. So I shared the story with everyone.
This was a recipe that my Mom received from a friend many, MANY moons ago from a woman named Yolanda. Why the recipe wasn’t known as Yolanda’s stew or Yolanda’s sauce I’ll never really know, but I assume that it was because as kids it was too complicated for my brother and I;Yolanda was simply easier.
So today, Yolanda is a recipe being shared out to extended family. Huh. I think that is very cool and that made me smile. A recipe as one’s namesake. Sure, definitely cool.
Moments with family & delightful food.
Moments to reflect.
And I must send a beam if light out…..one of my best friends has also had a very rough year. As I stop and reflect upon my challenges it is hard not to celebrate her growth as well. And most importantly I know she would love the meal we had tonight, so she was often top of my mind today.
Today was an incredible day with family and my aunt made one of my favorite childhood meals for dinner. Yup. Yolanda. Seriously, it is called Yolanda. It is a tomato based beef stew/sauce served over shell pasta and cheese. It is delightfully simple and tasty. I had 2.5 bowls of it tonight! Yes I love it that much!
As the extended family asked about the recipe, I realized that my aunt didn’t know why it was called Yolanda. So I shared the story with everyone.
This was a recipe that my Mom received from a friend many, MANY moons ago from a woman named Yolanda. Why the recipe wasn’t known as Yolanda’s stew or Yolanda’s sauce I’ll never really know, but I assume that it was because as kids it was too complicated for my brother and I;Yolanda was simply easier.
So today, Yolanda is a recipe being shared out to extended family. Huh. I think that is very cool and that made me smile. A recipe as one’s namesake. Sure, definitely cool.
Moments with family & delightful food.
Moments to reflect.
No comments:
Post a Comment