Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Moments D238: Kindness & Appreciation

This morning it was tough to get out of bed. I didn’t sleep well and I still had two things on my “to do” list from last night that I needed to get done this morning. (Ah, the joys of a creeping deadline!) But early in the day, it was already a two-special-moment kinda day!

Kindness:

Once I was moving and focused on getting things done things seemed to settle in a bit. I stopped at Tim’s for a couple of gift certificates (finishing my Christmas list - YES!). I felt badly for the gentleman behind me as he was waiting for the cashier & I to process the 5 cards I bought. I turned to him to apologize for the wait and he gave me a big ‘ol smile and said “Take your time. The longer the better. I’m in no rush.”

He was an older gentleman. He had a twinkle of kindness in his eye. He’ll never know just how much I needed to have that kindness shared with me, nor how that took the stress away from me (for running late to work, for holding him up etc.).

Appreciation:

Once I reached work, I received a Christmas card from a fellow employee that literally brought tears to my eyes. Now this is a man that I look up to. He’s brilliant. He’s been in the advertising industry for nearly as long as I’ve been on the earth. He’s a fountain of knowledge and laughter. His words were simple, but they touched me deeply. I impress him and he appreciates me. I was literally stunned. I re-read the card three times before I collected myself and went to his office to give him a hug.

Moments of random kindness.

Moments of hard work paying of.

No comments:

Post a Comment