Those that know me, know that I’m not very good at taking compliments. In fact I can be quite awkward and uncomfortable with them.
Today I was completely caught off guard with a compliment. It’s been nearly two years now since I dropped 45lbs and have managed to get myself into the best shape I think I’ve ever been in. (Of course, that being said, I’ve put 8lbs back on, but I’m still in better shape than ever!)
Tonight, one of my co-workers and I were discussing the merits of exercise and eating habits. The lifestyle change and the commitment to it. For me, it was pretty simple. Calories in had to be less than calories out. I worked out daily (even if I was tired, I still dragged myself out of bed and did Yoga on those mornings) for many months, I monitored what I was eating and tried to choose more healthy ways to enjoy food. But I never restricted myself. If I ate a Big Mac (one of my favourite bad treats), then I just made sure I worked that much harder in my workout the next day and cut back on the calories that day.
For me, it worked. I feel better than ever before. I’m less regimented now (thus the 8lbs back), but I’m also feeling as though I’ve settled into a new healthier lifestyle. (too much of anything can be a bad thing!)
Near the end of our conversation I was told that I was an inspiration to others. That there were people in the office that talked about me and my journey to a more fit, healthy me. That this story of mine was inspiring to others to take steps to take better care of themselves. WOW. Who knew. I was pretty surprised to hear this news and it made me smile. What an incredible feeling that gave me. Of course it made me smile.
BONUS here? I think I managed to be less awkward with the compliment too.
Moments to share stories and challenges.
Moments to graciously receive compliments.
No comments:
Post a Comment