Monday, May 21, 2012

Moments - D26; Bird Baths and Baby Spiders

Today was a day of conflicting emotions. It was a gorgeous day, unexpected for May 2 - 4 weekend. We went shopping at a greenhouse for the annual plant buy. The emotions were conflicting because I love spending time with my parents and I love gardening. BUT....and this is the catch, this is something that I loved to do at my home. Build my own gardens to be lush and beautiful for the summer. It's the first time I had a pang of sadness for my home. (It was sold back in April.) My gardens would just be starting to show-off and it would be time for me to add the little annual accessories.

Yes - I miss my gardens. But there will be other gardens. Dare I even dream, better gardens.

Once that sadness passed, I had my hands in the dirt at my old home - the one where I grew up. As I sat under the 36 year old maple tree (where every September my Mom took a picture of my brother and I before we started school) I watched the sparrows playing in the bird bath. As I watched, I could feel the calm set in. THIS is what down time is all about. Watching. Appreciating. Enjoying the world around you.

Then I had an inch worm join me in my chair. That was fun! I took a few pictures of him! Here's one.

And later, exploring the gardens, we came across a web of baby spiders. Very cool, and very interesting to watch.

Yes - these are the moments that I love. Watching the leaves rustle in the whisper of a breeze. Laughing at the birds play in the water. Cheering on the inch worm to it's next big jump. And being amazed by the hundreds of spiders.

Moments of my wonder of the world around me. So much more meaningful to me than lamenting the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment