So not much excitement right?
That's true until my BFF informed (via instant message) me that she fell down her front steps, likely hit her head and injured her already sensitive back. And oh....did I mention that she is only 5 weeks post knee operation? And that she's home alone for awhile?
The mama bear in me kicked in. I immediately called her. I needed to hear her voice to be sure she was ok.
She seemed surprised at my call, but I could hear that though she was slightly shaken, she was happy to hear from me.
I promised her I'd check in a few times over the course of the day to make sure she was ok.
All of my subsequent check-ins were a-okay....until the one around 9:30 pm. I didn't hear from her right away. I left it and then I tried again 20 minutes later. Still nothing.
I knew it was possible (and likely) she had simply fallen asleep, but it was also possible that she wasn't ok given her injury run down earlier in the day. So I called her. Both her cell and her home land line.
Nothing.
Now I had a choice. Pretend everything was okay and go to bed, or be persistent and find out.
EQ & I set a time limit. If we didn't hear back from BFF by 10:30 pm we were going to call the police and have them drop by to check in on her.
I didn't much like that option, but given the circumstances, it was on the table.
Fortunately, shortly after EQ and I decided on our plan of attack, we hear from BFF. All was fine, she was indeed sleeping and the phone calls had woken her.
Phew.
I felt badly for waking her knowing she's had troubles sleeping the past few weeks, but I was also quite relieved to hear she was doing okay.
I promised to check in first thing tomorrow.
Now I can restfully sleep knowing she's in pain, (albeit wide awake now!), but safe. Ah...what are friends for, right?
Moments when things shift and decisions need to be made.
Moments knowing all is well and you can breathe easy again.
No comments:
Post a Comment