Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Moments D625: Fireplace

I nearly forgot how much I love fireplaces.  Once upon a time, a lifetime ago, I lived in an apartment with a real, wood burning fireplace.  What a treat that was on a cold winter night.  With friends, with my boyfriend, solo with a good book and a glass of wine.  I loved spending time in front of that fireplace.

Where I've been staying for the past two days, there is a fireplace in the corner.  It isn't a "real" fireplace, but a gas fireplace.  I know, it's more efficient.  It's safer.  It's cleaner.  I get that.  But I enjoy the smell and sound of a wood burning fireplace (or even a potbelly stove!). Even so, this fireplace has a lot of logs in it and the flames are higher than most gas fireplace flames.  It even has embers to watch.

It was only 12-15 degrees (Celsius) today, so the fireplace was a nice touch.  And so, today I decided to work from the floor in front of the fireplace (most of the day actually).  I sat right in front of it.  It was like doing Bikram yoga all day as I worked.  It was incredible.  (and boy do I feel well stretched out today!)

As I worked in front of those warm flames, I reminisced.  And then I dreamed of my future fireplace(s?) and smiled.

Simple things sometimes.  Simple things.

Moments enjoying a fire.

Moments spent stretching and dreaming with the leaping flames.

No comments:

Post a Comment