Normally when I call my Mom & Dad I end up talking to both of them at the same time, or it’s just my Mom as Dad is typically out and about. How do I talk to them both at the same time? They each pick up a phone extension so the three of us are all in on the conversation. It’s been like this since I moved away from home and it always makes me smile.
But today when I called, my Mom was in the shower, so Dad and I chatted on our own. A bit of a rarity!
Now you might recall that my dad actually had open heart surgery just over a week ago, so having an opportunity to talk to him alone about how he’s doing and feeling through his recuperation was quite interesting. I think he was a little more honest because he didn`t have Mom to worry about with some of his pains that he shared.
My dad and I chatted for about 15 minutes overall. It was a lovely conversation and I know I was smiling the entire time. His energy and outlook are more positive than I’ve seen in years. He’s excited for his coming adventures. He’s excited to share a couple of those with me.
The first thing he did was find out when and how he can get travel insurance. Low and behold, he’s good to go in the next three months. He’s eager to find a trip that he and Mom can do in the fall!
A cousin of mine is getting married in Jamaica next March. Check. He’s officially going now.
He and Mom have been wanting to do a European river cruise for years now. This is now top priority to book. This is a trip that he wants me to join them on. Either fall of 2014 or spring 2015. Yes, my Dad is a planner. (Now you know where I get it from!)
Dad is ready to travel. I can’t wait to hear all about their coming travels and honestly, I’m excited to share in the experience of the river cruise through Europe. What an experience that will be. I’m so very happy that he’s in this new head space with their health issues behind them.
So today’s moment is celebrating my dad, his amazingly speedy recovery and his renewed lust for life. Seeing him invigorated once again inspires me to dig a little deeper too.
And yes, I look forward to travelling with him that will be a great moment!
Moments celebrating victories.
Moments appreciating family.
No comments:
Post a Comment