Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Moments D387: Puddle Jumping

Today I was fortunate to have a couple of great moments. From an amusing photo of my Dad up and walking today in the hospital, to watching two friends (strangers to me) literally run into one another on the street and watching the laughter that ensued. Many moments where I paused and smiled or contemplated. A bright day of light.

But the one moment I want to focus on happened as I was walking to class tonight. It became significant for me for I had thought of doing the same. Instead, I chose not to for fear of “looking silly”. (This is not normally something I worry about, but today I didn’t want to stand out.)

On campus there is a man-made shallow pond. In summers past, it’s been filled with water. It is still early in the season and it remains mostly empty, minus a few puddles of collected rain at its edges. Walking through the “pond” when it is empty is popular as it is a faster path than walking around to get from one building to another.

As I began my crossing I deviated from the shortest path because of a big puddle. I walked around it, even though I thought about jumping over it, or {gasp} through it. And then, as I neared the other side of the pond, a student walking in the opposite direction did what I could not: he jumped the puddle. In fact, he jumped to a dry spot surrounded by water and then hopped from there over the rest of the puddle. I could help but smile and nod at him. I think I even giggled to myself as I finished up my walk to class.

Puddle jumping. Definitely underrated.

On my way back to the car after class, I jumped that dang puddle! OF COURSE I did. I don’t see a sign like that and not accept it!

And then I smiled all the way back to the parking garage.

Moments of being grounded.

Moments of letting loose!

No comments:

Post a Comment