Today was an interesting day. I woke a little slowly, but we moved quickly to get to the hospital to wait for Dad to get his discharge papers. Unfortunately it took a little longer than expected, but the time was well spent. I was able to meet one of Dad’s “cell mates” Bob. Bob was delightful and, at 78, he had much to share and I rather enjoyed his stories and his energy.
Hours later, Dad was in the passenger seat and Mom was driving them home.
I made my way home and puttered around for a bit cleaning up the week. And then, I packed a bag, some tasty beverages and I made my way to my BFF’s place. After the week, after having my core shaken again it was exactly what I needed. Low key, backyard sunshine and the best company ever!
We had many deep discussions and we watched the sun go down. We had a delightful first BBQ of the season - BBQ’d meat, veggies and yes, salad. And then the sprinkling rain came. We were finishing up our third bottle by then.
And then the discussion of the day: Was this what we hoped for?
Life. Never as straightforward as you hope for and it’s always offering you learning opportunities. We sat with this idea for a bit as we watched music videos under the big umbrella in the cold spring rain.
Was this what we hoped for?
My philosophy is that if it’s not what you hoped for, it is still well within your control. If you find yourself in a place that you aren’t happy with, then it’s time to take a good hard look at why and find a way to work towards that end goal. Often we settle. Often we find comfort in something that is known, but comfort alone isn’t enough. Sometimes, we’re aware of a deficiency, but we keep ourselves busy and ignore the deeper signs. But truly, we all have the ability to work towards what we hope for. That path isn’t easy. Sometimes it forces you to have a long hard look in the mirror and sometimes it breaks your heart. But after all that hard work, when you get to your goal, it’s that much sweeter.
So today, is a celebration of deep discussions. Of revisiting what’s most important in my life and finding the best path towards that end. It’s about friends, it’s about family and it’s about enjoying the walk along that path, not running too hard and fast that I miss out.
Moments with your best friend.
Moments digging deeper into self..
No comments:
Post a Comment