Monday, August 13, 2012

Moments D111: Starting Fresh, Unexpected Visitors

Yesterday my cell phone fried, not literally, but figuratively anyway. It rebooted itself and when it restarted it was fully reformatted and buggy. {sigh}

Today I spent most of my day trying to figure out what happened. While I lost all my texting history, my phone contacts and the memos and diary entries stored locally on my phone, I did NOT lose any of my photographs or video. So, while I was upset in losing my memos & diary entries, I was glad that I hadn’t lost my photographs and video. A bit of good and bad feelings mixed all together!

In the end, I had to completely wipe my phone (reformat it officially) which meant backing up my photos/videos and setting the phone back to it’s factory settings. Hours later, my phone was set up all over again complete with apps, widgets and the ability to back up texting & memos (but not the diary). Success within defeat.

It got me thinking. A fresh start. My phone had stored all sorts of old history and information in it. Some (most) of that stuff was from a previous lifetime. Texts from my ex; diary entries about my Dad’s hospital visit; photos from trips pre-separation etc. My phone is now a clean slate. It’s an opportunity for me to truly start afresh. No more casual glances at a past life - I’ll have to work much harder to do that now by turning on my desktop at home (where my backups are). Honestly - how often will I do that? Not very. But when the information was on my phone, it happened. It happened more often than it probably should have, after all I have this need to re-visit situations/times and really get a feel for how I’m feeling NOW about things that happened THEN. Sometimes that’s important, but sometimes, it’s just torturous. I think the universe stepped in and said “ENOUGH!” And so, I celebrate a fresh start. A chance to fill my phone with new moments.

In the same vein as this concept of starting fresh, I had an unexpected visitor tonight after volleyball as well. He is a dear friend to me and we’ve had our differences over the time we’ve known one another, but, like my phone, I was feeling like it was time to have a fresh start. It was good to finally be in that place. Shed the past. Shed the misunderstandings.

Moments to start fresh. I wonder where this will take me. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment