Now, I’ve have XM radio in the car for about 8 months now. I love it! But, I really haven’t had time to explore the hundreds of stations in any depth. Like any music on the air (no matter what the station or focus), the music inevitably begins to sound all the same. This morning I went searching for something new.
And new I found! My pleasant surprise: I found an XM radio station that was dedicated to Canadian indie musicians: The Verge
Now you may scoff at the idea (I nearly did!), but the line up of artists/songs that I heard en route to work was pretty great. Deadmau5, Sloan (one of my favs!), City and Colour (what a voice) and finally The Tragically Hip.
It was that moment that I realized: I really do love a lot of Canadian music. I can think of a few more off the top of my head. Alanis Morissette, Arcade Fire, Metric (LOVE THEM, and Emily Hanes on her own is pretty amazing as well - I particularly love “Dr. Blind”), Feist, The New Pornographers, and oh so many more. I was surprised (nearly shocked really) at the list I loved!
And so today it is a moment to celebrate Canadian Indie bands. In my search for website links, I came across this blog that summarizes their top 100 Canadian Indie bands. An impressive list.
So, take a moment and celebrate music.
And yes, I am a proud Canadian celebrating music that resonates with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment