Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Moments D119: Biking for transportation

Today was the first day I’ve biked to work. I’ve been meaning to do this all summer, but with my hectic schedule it’s been nearly impossible to find a day where I wasn’t expected somewhere either too far to bike home from or I would be out too late to want to bike home from.

I was nervous. I wasn’t sure how long it would take me to bike to the office. My estimate was 30 minutes. So I planned for 40 minutes just to be on the safe side. After a delayed start due to soft tires that needed air, off I went.

I loved it! All 21 minutes and 18.2km of it. Seeing all the other bike riders, passing the cars, turning left at a couple of intersections (nerve racking in rush hour traffic), and cursing at the street car tracks as they bit at my tires. I pushed hard on the hills and loved the burn in my quads and I felt good when I finally pulled into the office parking lot. Twenty-one minutes. Five more than it takes me to drive into work. Only 192 calories burned, but boy was it a good feeling. I can’t wait to do it again sometime soon.

I’ve only ever ridden my bike for pleasure/entertainment before this moment. So today was a new adventure for me. A moment of using my bike as a mode of transportation instead of “just for fun”. How fortunate that I still, very much, enjoyed it!

Moments of new adventures and new transportation.

Moments to exercise and feel good.

#moments #exercise #biking

No comments:

Post a Comment