Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Moments D120: Empty Fountains


Today's moment is brought to you by an empty fountain/splash pad at my local beach/park.  Typically it is a sad sight to see.  Why, after all, doesn't the city fill it with water for the kids to enjoy.   It SHOULD be filled with water....kinda like this one:
But instead it remains dry and hot concrete in the middle of a park heading into the beach and playground.  
Today, on my walk to the beach for volleyball I crossed over the empty fountain and I was pleasantly surprised!  No, it wasn't filled with children's laughter as they splashed and played, but it was filled with chalk art.  It wasn't that the art was particularly awe inspiring, but the scale of it was.  Every inch of the splash pad was covered in chalk drawings and there was uniformity to it all as well.  Someone (or a couple of people) must have planned out what they were doing.  The inner circle was all the same set of symbols, and the out circle was another set of the symbols.  
As I walked through it the first time, I smile.  As I walked past it on the way home, I smiled again.
I'd say that was a good moment.  Bravo to the Chalk Artists and their canvas of the Empty Fountain.
Moments for art.

No comments:

Post a Comment