Monday, August 27, 2012

Moments D125: Rain Storms

Today was the playoffs for my competitive co-ed 4’s beach volleyball team. We did well (finished 2nd), but better yet we played well and had a lot of fun doing it. But, while those two hours on the beach were filled with smiles and moments to share, the one that stands out most was watching the rain storm roll in.

The storm clouds started filling in the evening sky around 7:45-8pm. We were in the middle of our championship set of 3 games when the organizers broadcast that we needed to shorten the final game in the set to only 15 points due to the storm coming in.

While playing my favourite sport, on a beach (also a place I love, the sand, the water, the breeze), I watched a fascinating storm brew in front of me. Within minutes the bright dusk sky turned dark. The lightening was quick and hard to see as it danced amoungst the clouds and only rarely broke to hit the ground below.

We finished (lost) our game shortly after 8pm. By the time the nets and lines were wrapped up and handed in, the clouds began to break under the weight of their wares. It was a slow release, just a misty sprinkle at first. I quickly walked to my parked car, which was about 8 minutes away. If it were 10 minutes away, I would have been drenched!

I got into my car, turned it on and did a U-Turn. By the time I was straightened out, the clouds gave up their fight and the heavens opened up. This was no simple rain storm. It was as though someone had tipped the bucket and the bucket had no end. (My fastest setting for my wipers was not fast enough!)

It was that moment. That moment where I smiled the hardest today. I was happy with the activities of the evening, but happier still that I had just missed the torrential downpour of rain by a mere moment. Sometimes, I am that lucky!

Moments to watch rain storms.

Moments of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment