My Dad (finally) received his birthday card today in the mail and he sent me a quick email to thank me for it. Surprisingly, he expressed his surprise at my words within the card. I had called him a “super star”. He had no idea why I would have said that.
Huh. Really? I guess as a daughter I’ve failed at sharing my words with him! Perhaps he’s just being humble. After all, he’s survived and accomplished much in his life. How could he not know he’s a super star?
My Dad hasn’t had an easy life. He’s worked hard and fought for everything he has and more importantly for the man he is. Eighteen operations. A son who, as an infant, was in and out of hospitals. Working many overtime hours in his career, so that his family would have more than just what we needed. Stepping up and helping his ailing father before he passed. Continuing to take care of his mother, now lost to Alzheimer’s. I watched him lovingly take care of his wife as she fought her own battle with cancer. This a man who worked hard all through his working years, who continues to work hard in retirement. All the while he is quick with a smile or laughter. There is no doubt in my mind: This man IS a super star.
I don’t say this because he’s my Dad. No. This is a man who digs deeper than anyone else I know. He’s an incredible human being and one that I am fortunate enough to have him in my life to learn from. His work ethic is above and beyond and his views on life are flexible and varied. I’m lucky to be able to call him Dad, but he’s not a super star because he’s my Dad. He’s a super star because he is incredible as a person. I am ever grateful.
So today, a reminder to me, to remind my Dad, the super star, more often just how incredible he is.
Moments appreciating brilliant people.
Moments of gratitude for my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment