I'm not very good with them. In fact, I shy away from them when and where I can.
Today's moment was a first for me in that I received a compliment from my new business partner that didn't make me uncomfortable. (And yes, that too sounds strange to me, that I have a business partner!)
As I drove home from my class (which ran late!) he and I had a conference. He was feeling anxious. I had answers. His response as we neared the end of our call was to compliment me. He gushed over the tools I am bringing to his new team. It was a tremendous, wordy and deeply genuine compliment. Normally I would shy away from it, bashful almost. Instead, I took it all in stride and didn't even blink when I replied with an equally genuine "thank you" and reminded him that's why I was on his team!
Truly, I think it's the first time I've had such a gushing compliment that I wasn't uncomfortable about. This gave me pause. Why, in this case, was I comfortable with the compliment?
I gave it some thought. It wasn't merely because I was exhausted and not really engaged or paying attention. I was fully engaged and aware of the compliment. The only thing I could determine is that maybe, just maybe I was so open and accepting of the compliment because I believed in it. In this particular case, I believed my business partner's words. I believe in my skill set. I believe in my ability to deliver value to this new team.
Moments of growth.
Moments of awareness.
No comments:
Post a Comment